Koç University Policy Statement Regarding the Use of Artificial Intelligence Tools (ChatGPT or other similar tools)
Unless the use of artificial intelligence-based tools is prohibited or limited in the course, which should be explicitly stated in the syllabus, the following policy is in effect:
- Students can use AI tools, such as ChatGPT, Google Bard, Bing Chat, etc. as supplementary resources for idea generation and enhancing understanding, but not as a substitute for critical thinking and original work (assignment, paper, thesis, etc.).
- For the parts that are downloaded/copy-pasted, students should check the accuracy and reliability of the information and resources provided in the text and then use them for idea generation, taking perspective, etc. They should be advised to:
- Go to the primary resources mentioned in the text.
- Check whether the resource is reliable.
- Reliable resources are scholarly articles, book chapters, a thesis, etc.
- Check whether the data, visuals, etc. taken from websites are accurate:
- Accurate data and visuals: numbers, and percentages are correctly given, etc.
- If students use ChatGPT or similar AI technologies, it should be acknowledged in the text by using proper citation and reference methods. Students should be aware that disciplinary actions regarding any type of academic dishonesty can be applied if they are caught cheating with AI by their instructors. Please refer to Student Code of Conduct document for detailed information about academic dishonesty by following this link: https://apdd.ku.edu.tr/en/academic-policies/student-code-of-conduct-2/ .
- If students use ChatGPT or similar AI technologies, they should give the list of prompts, the original output, and the revised outputs that are used to complete the assignment, paper, thesis, etc. in the appendix part. They should add a paragraph of reflection regarding how they revised the outputs and use the selected AI tool to improve their assignment, paper, thesis, etc.
- Students can refer to APA, MLA or other specific writing guidelines to see how AI tools can be cited properly in academic papers.
APA Style: https://apastyle.apa.org/blog/how-to-cite-chatgpt
MLA Style: https://style.mla.org/citing-generative-ai/?utm_campaign=sourcemar23&utm_medium=email&utm_source=mlaoutreach