April 2020 Update:
Starting March 30, ALL Conversation Circles will be held via Google Meets video chat. There is a no-drop-in policy during this period. Students MUST sign up via the following link each week for the sessions they wish to attend: https://forms.gle/f6h4qc8V3sr2di2Z9
New dates will be available on this form every week on Fridays. Beginning every Friday at 12:00 noon, students may register for circles for the following week.
Registered participants will receive an invitation link to the chat 15 minutes before the session starts.
KOLT offers English Conversation Circles and English Reading & Writing Circles at the Foundation, Intermediate, and Advanced levels. All students are welcome at circles, including ELC and graduate students.
Conversation Circles in Arabic, French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish are also held once per week. Turkish circles are held twice per week.
All circles are limited to 7 students, on a first-come, first-served basis. Students are required to sign up each week for their preferred time slot.
- To improve students’ speaking and comprehension skills
- To help students practice conversational English and other languages in a relaxed and friendly environment
- To facilitate contacts between students from different majors and help new students build a social network
- To develop students’ confidence when speaking, reading, and writing
- To decrease students’ anxiety about speaking English and other languages in social situations
Spring 2020 Updates:
This semester, we are introducing circles with special themes, including Business, Science, and Arts & Culture. These circles are open to both intermediate and advanced learners and are open to students from any major. These circles offer the same casual, friendly conversational environment, but they allow participants to focus on a specific area of interest.